Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Vegetable Garden: Harvest Totals

This weekend, I harvested my last eggplants and peppers. I still have two butternut squash on the vine, and some chard that may continue to produce, but I am ready to do the final tally for my garden.

From my 32 square foot garden (two 4x4 raised beds) I harvested:

  • Spinach: 12 servings*
  • Leaf Lettuce: 16 servings
  • Boy Choy: 6 servings
  • Romaine: 2 heads
  • Chard: 22 servings
  • Radishes: 3 servings
  • Green beans: 18 servings
  • Carrots: 1 serving (and a small one at that!)
  • Pickling cucumber: 7
  • Regular cucumber: 19
  • Japanese eggplant: 11
  • Regular eggplant: 7
  • Jalepeno pepper: 15
  • Green pepper: 16
  • Tomatoes: 190
  • Butternut squash: 3
  • Mini pumpkins: 10

*I am too lazy to weigh my produce, so I either count by item (if large) or by "serving" meaning the amount needed for a side dish for one person.

Also in my square foot garden, I had tons of sage and oregano, and a bit of basil.

In addition, I also harvested 4 servings of snow peas from pots on my deck.

Not bad for a small garden. I am getting better at planting a series of crops in the same space, although there is still room for improvement. I tried to put a crop of beans in after the snow peas, but waited too long. As a result I got very few beans in the pots on my deck.

For more on my harvest, check out what worked and what didn't in my vegetable garden this year.

What was your harvest like this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment