Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I've been hit! Late blight on the tomatoes.

tomato plant with late blight - from the vegtable garden of 2 Green AcresOf course, it happens when you start to feel smug....so sure you are immune. After all, my tomatoes had been doing so well - the best year ever.

Then one day I walk into the garden and things aren't looking too good. The next day, it is a massacre. Today I tried to harvest what I could, but it was not much.


In the meantime, the tomatoes that I picked earlier in the week were fast deteriorating on the counter.

Roasted tomatoes from the vegetable garden of 2 Green Acres
I did the only thing I could think of - roasted all the tomatoes I had left, and then threw them in the freezer.

I consider myself fortunate. I was able to harvest about 190 tomatoes from 4 plants before the late blight hit. However, last year, I was harvesting tomatoes through mid-November.


After you get late blight, the common advice is to plant your tomatoes in a different spot next year. That can be hard to do with a Square Foot Garden. Oh well, I have until spring to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment